Out of the survey from 2016, TACC identified 15 ‘hotspots’ for cycling. TACC made statements to Somerset County Council (Nov 2016) and Taunton Deane Council (Dec 2016) asking for the hotspots to be addressed. We are meeting with Somerset County Council officers every two months to discuss the hotspots and other cycling issues.
- Station Road, Taunton – high traffic volumes, narrow lanes, cycle lanes blocked, problem junctions.
2. Cobbles at Market Hall – at least one person has reported injuries/hospital attendance.
3. Crossing on slip road J25.
4. Lack of safety/provision for cyclists on A38 Taunton to Wellington.
5. Lack of safety/provision for cyclists on A348 Taunton to Bishops Lydeard.
6. Compass Hill gyratory- multiple lanes, and high speeds make it difficult to negotiate and generally intimidating.
7. Roundabout Crescent/Corporation St – difficult to negotiate.
8. Multiple problems as Castle Street/Tangier/A38 area.
9. Obridge Viaduct – many people avoid it.
10. Lack of crossings across Silk Mills road; especially when trying to get across to Long Run Meadow.
11. Subway Leycroft Road-Victoria Park cycle/walking path – very poor surface and can feel intimidating.
*** FIXED ***
It has just been resurfaced=progress!. We have had an email saying that the surface is rather bumpy (not machine laid) and another saying that it is quite smooth. How it feels probably depends on your wheel type. What do you think?
12. East Reach – ‘traffic nightmare’.
13. South Road/Shoreditch Road – sharing narrow lanes with fairly high volumes.
14. Canal towpath poor surface and other issues.
15. Creech Castle Junction and approaches – lack of provision/space for cyclists.